Tonight is another night where our group of friends gets together for a potluck and an evening of games and good conversation. This month we are planning for an oriental theme and I am making Sweet and Sour Pork. I also attempted to make fortune cookies....which look more like pirogi's than fortune cookies. Apparently this in an art to be acquired. The more you do it, the easier it will be to make them look like this:

I went to several different websites to look for fortune cookie fortunes, and there were so many that weren't really fortunes, like 'The Weather is Beautiful'. Umm, that's a fact. Not a fortune. So, I decided to revert to some good old fashioned Chinese Proverbs. There were so many that applies to my current state of life and that have applied to the past. And some that perhaps apply to my future. I wish I could remember them to tell my children. Figurative language seems to be so much more meaningful rather than saying exactly what you mean. I wonder if only the well learned men and women can only speak in these wonderful tones. These are some of the few I found:
- A hundred men may make an encampment, but it takes a woman to make a home.
- Insanity is doing the same thing in the same way and expecting a different outcome.
- A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials.
- With true friends, even water drunk together is sweet enough.
- I see, I forget. I hear, I remember. I do, I understand.
- I was angered for I had no shoes. Then I met a man who had no feet.
- He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool for life.
- A diamond with a flaw is worth more that a pebble without imperfections.
- To attract a good fortune, spend a new penny on an old friend, share and old pleasure with a new friend and lift up the heart of a true friend by writing his name on the wings of a dragon.
This one made me laugh: "It is not economical to go to bed early to save the candles if the result is twins."
Oh, and this is what my cookies look like:
They taste good, which I think is important, but they don't really look like the traditional fortune cookie. Oh well. This just means I get to practice more :D.
No comments:
Post a Comment