Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Peaches!

Last year my mom and I canned a whole whack of peaches that Ryan has been taking to work and loving. This year I decided to try canning them on my own since my mom has a full time job. I think I may have cooked the peaches too long. And I only got 8 jars out of 18 lbs of peaches. Hmm. I think I may have done something wrong. I called my sister in law for help and she said that I needed to have boiling water and put the peaches a little at a time in for 1 minute, remove and place in cold water. Well, before I had called her, I filled up my big canner with ALL of the peaches, and tried to bring the water to a boil. Umm, no. That's not how it's supposed to be done. The water took and age and a half to look like it was going to start boiling, so I didn't even wait that long. The water was hot. But I still think that the peaches were left in too long as they were rather soft. Peeling them wasn't as easy as I remember it being last year:
Pitting them wasn't so bad, though:
And canning them was the easy part. Since I only had room in my canner for 7 jars, one jar went in the fridge for Ryan for work, and the rest went to be cooked. Out of the 7, one didn't seal. But, that's ok too, since Ryan still likes to have them to work. At least they aren't getting wasted! :)

No comments: