Saturday, September 12, 2009

Domestic Life!

This week resulted in a stay at home week...for the most part. I was a domestic housewife! A few weeks ago I went with my friend Melissa and picked 40 lbs of blueberries. Since I had no time to deal with them at that moment, I shoved the whole box into my itty bitty freezer and decided that I would deal with them at a later date. Well, since they were out of sight, they were also out of mind. Until I had to get buns from the freezer for Ryan's lunch on Tuesday. Of course the box was on top of everything so I had to remove the box to get at anything. That box was stuck in my freezer. I couldn't get it out! It was wedged in between the motor part of the freezer and the other side. (Too bad I don't have a picture :P) While I tried to work the box out, I decided that on Wednesday that box was going to be dealt with! I had intended on making the whole works into blue berry sauce for Camia, but since my pie (pictured in a previous entry) was so yummy, I decided to keep some berries so I could repeat the whole pie process. So, in the freezer went back enough blueberries to make 5 pies. And the rest got made into sauce. First I cooked the blueberries...
While they were cooking, I decided to run a few loads of laundry, to catch up from our trip to Smithers.(I was offered laundry utilities while I was there, but I opted not to since I was on holidays and I had enough clothes to last all weekend. I just had to keep my fingers crossed that Camia didn't dirty herself since I had no extras. If that was the case, I would have had to do laundry. (Thankfully she understands that on holidays we don't do laundry and stayed nice and clean. :D)
After I was done sorting the laundry, the blueberries were done cooking, so I ran them through the strainer/smasher thing...
And then after that was done, and the next batch of berries were cooking, I decided to transplant my Coleus that had gone through a major growth spurt while I was away. And yes, that is my fabulous morning cup of Coffee sitting there too!:
Check out the roots on these babies!
Coleus all transplanted with more room to grow to get bigger for my fall planter:

After that was done, the next batch of berries was ready to run through the smasher thing. After they were all smashed and the next batch was cooking, I filled some jars and got my caner on the stove.

While that was being prepared, I switched around some laundry and got a batch of dough going to bake some buns. While the dough was rising, and the caner was heating up and the berries were cooking and the laundry was being washed and dried, I went upstairs to sort the mound of clothes that I intended to sell at the swap meet that occurred this morning.
After that, the caner was ready and 20 minutes later, the jars came out and started popping like crazy! It is quite satisfying to hear the popping that the lids make while they seal. This is the fruits of my labour:

This too:
And this too:
I actually have a table top!
And this is what happens when you try be domestic with no apron on. I am working on my to-do pile so I can get to that apron!

No comments: