This week marked a new milestone in Camia's life. Well, not really hers yet, but more so for myself. After scouring Craigs List for quite some time, mostly sporadically, but sometimes religiously for a twin size bed for her, I found one that was absolutely darling. See? Absolutely darling.

What not so darling about it was the price tag. 1,200 bucks??!! Well, darling though I love you so very much, I cannot afford a bed that costs 1,200 bucks. Since the ad said brand new mattresses included, I figured that she was really after the money for the mattresses. I had never heard of cafe kid before, so I really had no idea what this bed was worth. Still, I have found a place for it in my heart since I discovered it yesterday. So, I emailed the lady and asked for just the frame and how much would that cost. She said 'make me an offer'. I dislike when that happens. In my mind I wanted to pay no more than $100 to $150 for a bed. Less is better, but no more. So, off went my email offering this to the lady. If emails could laugh - you know, like the harry potter letters in the movies - then the return email would have not ONLY laughed, it would have scoffed too. She stated that she was selling the frame and throwing in the mattresses as a bonous. I dislike when that happens too. So, back to the drawing board. I went on Cafe Kid's website to see what the prices were brand new, but none were listed. I then heard that they were similar to Pottery Barn Kids. Well, I have found a place for them in my heart too. But they are expensive as well. A bed similar to the one above is on sale for $700. Truth be told, I actually considered it. In my head. If I had considered it out loud, Ryan would have immediately taken my head from the clouds and put it back on my shoulders. It's a good thing at least one of us is sensible when it comes to having a little girl ;). This morning, while perusing the thrift store, I received a call from a friend saying that there was a Cafe Kid bed at Costco for $400. Or something like that. It might have been $500. or $4 hundredsomething. Tempting. But, to be smart and at least pursue all options, I headed to the furniture part of the thrift store. And look at what I found:
Headboards. For $30. While they are not for a twin bed, which was what I was looking for, I scored on a single, which is also perfect. I plan to have them sanded and then painted an antique white. I plan to adjust Camia's new quilt to fit a single rather than a twin. I plan to paint her room a light, girly pink. I plan to get a nightstand for her on which to place the lamp I bought and plan to 'fix up'. $30. Sure beats $1,200, $700 and even $4hundredsomething! And now my baby has a head board and a foot board. Someday soon she will have a new bed and no longer be in a crib. And in less than 6 months she is going to be 3. Time sure seems to get away on me sometimes!
4 comments:
What a score! Love the headboards, her room is going to look adorable. Had a good laugh at the e-mail story, I have never heard of that brand either so I would've made an offer just like yours :)
Wow! Good for you for resisting such temptation as a $1200 bed..I thought maybe it was a mistake on the ladies part and she actually wanted like $120 instead, but your deal was good too!
I thought it might have been a mistake as well. The bed brand new is for sale for $700. I guess she's trying to make a buck - or a couple hundred - on this bed. I am curious how long it will take to sell, if more people do their homework...
Oh! That is adorable!! Glad you got this one. Can't wait to see it all said and done!
Post a Comment