Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Swimming Lessons

This year we decided to put Camia in swimming lessons for a couple of reasons. One thing was that it was something to do. I am learning that Camia is the kind of child who needs stimulation and things to do. She needs constant interaction and loves being around other children. Another thing was that we were going through a bit of a rebellious stage and her listening skills were deteriorating. We thought that it would help if she were exposed to listening to someone else other than her parents. She is the kind of child who dances everywhere she goes, who sings constantly and just has a hard time not moving. She is a happy creature, but sometimes hard to keep entertained. I have to admit, I was a little concerned at first because of some things people were saying to me about her. 'What a firecracker you've got there!' 'She won't stop talking!' "I can see why you look so tired all the time!' 'She likes to do her own thing, that is for sure' 'Sometimes she would rather do her own thing than listen to instruction.' I was feeling a little deflated for a while, since although I am sure none of it was meant to be destructive, it was one thing after another for a while and me, being me, began to be discouraged and worried that Camia would not be liked, always excluded and teased, much like my own elementary years were. I think the hardest thing for me as a Christian is to not worry so much and trust more...

After watching her in swim lessons, I feel better. She did so well, and her teacher complimented her a couple times on her good listening ears and her willingness to please. She passed with flying colours, and swimming lessons were the highlight of her week for 4 weeks. I have to say, I am going to miss it as well. I quite enjoyed taking her and felt so proud while watching her - whenever I actually watched her :). I became friends with one of the other moms of a boy in her class. We chatted the first lesson, and every one thereafter. She missed 2 classes and it was rather lonely without her :). I found out that she attended Langley Christian, which means she bused with Credo Christian. I found out that her dad attended John Calvin, and wonder if it's the same school I attended. She also has a story that I found inspiring. She had cancer when she was 16, and through her lifestlye and attitude, was a part in bringing someone to Christ. It came up that my sister went to be with Jesus 9 years ago and after sharing our stories we decided to have playdates after swim lessons were over.

Camia has so much more confidence now, and I am amazed at the difference from last year to this year. Last year she would have none of getting all the way wet in the water while we were at the beach until the last 10 minutes before we went home. She refused to run through a sprinkler, even if I went with her. This year she is up to her shoulders in the lake almost right away and runs through the sprinkler with no issues. She is proud of herself, and loves to show that she knows how to get her head wet and blow bubbles while she is in the bath tub.
  


No comments: