Monday, November 22, 2010

Brr, It's COLD Out There!

Today the temperature plummeted and it was nasty cold outside. The thermometer read -7, but it felt like it was a whole lot colder than that with the wind chill. While driving on the freeway to Chilliwack I made sure to hold on with both hands because it felt like the wind was going to blow clear across the fields where there was a dust storm taking place. A river that is normally fast flowing in Chilliwack was half frozen and the snow left from Friday crunched under my feet as we treaded on through it. Today after I delivered a meal, I was to deliver my car to our mechanic out in Yarrow and then have a friend pick me up and bring me back to Langley. I am so very thankful for amazing friends! But, by the time I was done visiting in Chilliwack and ready to be picked up, she had just put her girls down for a nap. So, we thought that I might ask my mechanic's wife to quick drive the 2 minutes to her house. Turns out, she wasn't home either. So, since I didn't want M to wake her sleeping angels, I packed up the stuff I didn't want to leave behind, unstrapped Camia's car seat, and walked with the stinking heavy car seat on one arm, and Camia on the other. The wind was so gusty that I felt like it was going to just pick me up and blow me away. And poor Camia, it was SO cold. My bare fingers had no feeling left in them, my legs were frozen and my ears felt like I could break them off. I wrapped my scarf around Camia's little neck a couple time to try keep her warmer, and thankfully her mittens kept her hands from freezing. I had to stop several times just to protect her from the wind and to wipe her tears. She asked to go back, but by that time it was quicker to still head to M's than to head back to the car. In hind site, I should have dropped Camia and the car seat off at M's and then walked back my self, so she could stay warm. And, for the first time in my life, I actually hitch hiked. Well, without the thumb thing. I just accepted a ride from a total stranger who insisted on driving me a half a block's distance to M's house. I did feel kind of silly since I could see her driveway from where we were standing, but it was so frigid, and I felt that it was best for Camia. The kind woman buckled in her car seat legally and stepped aside so I could strap Camia in. She opened the door for me when we got to M's, but did not make a move to take her out or touch her. And then she carried Camia's car seat to M's door for me so I could carry Camia. I was very grateful. M proceeded to make me hot chocolate and gave me a blanket with which to warm Camia and I, but apparently Camia didn't need it since she wriggled free and went to play with the toys. I am so very thankful for amazing friends and good samaritans!

No comments: