Friday, August 28, 2009

Cupcakes and a Baby Shower

This past week my friends and I threw a very successful surprise baby shower for another of our friends. We had arranged a sewing night with 4 girls and it developed into a surprise for her involving one of her loves: cupcakes. (It doesn't ALL have to be about baby, does it? :D)
This we chose as our theme. Our colour palate was pink, purple and green since the new little wonder that joined us 4 months ago is a sweet little girl. As a last minute brain storm, I decided that I would crochet little cupcakes for items of decor. I was looking online, and I don't know how I came across it, but there they were: The sweetest little cupcakes that were crocheted. It didn't look so difficult! I printed the instructions and looked at the crazy crochet instructions. And looked at them again. Well, after I started, I decided that at the rate I was going, I would be happy to have 3 for my little display. I called up my crazy talented Oma to teach me what I needed to know, and after that I still needed to consult a book provided to me by my 9 year old niece. This book had pictures...And instructions!After many attempts to get this project going, I finally figured it out:
After I got going, I figured I could have a dozen of these whipped up in no time. But then I had another brainwave: Cupcake favours! Well, since I had the pattern of the cupcakes under control, I figured that making cupcake favours really couldn't be THAT much harder. And it really wasn't. It was kind of fun. And considering I had never really crocheted before, I figured I was making great time. I began this project on Monday. The shower was scheduled for Wednesday night. I had 12 of these babies to make. I pumped out those cupcakes like there was no tomorrow. If you visited my house in that time, you can say that my housework definitely suffered. This is what my craft table looked like:
And this is what the start of those favours looked like.I saw a pattern online on how to make them out of yogurt containers. But yogurt containers don't come with lids anymore. So, I ran this by one of my other baby shower planner, and she suggested using baby food jars. Its baby still, right? she said. Yes! I had saved all my baby food jars with the intent of donating them to the school. That never happened. So I donated 12 to the cause of the baby shower. Progress report:
The end result: Jelly Bean filled cupcakes for all the guests.The day before the shower I put down my crochet hook and went party shopping with my partner.
We took our babes and hit the dollar stores and Turkeys. Too bad my camera battery died and I didn't take a replacement :( Imagine the photos that could have made their way up to this page! We had to shop for a table cloth and we had to decide which one to get. We went with the cheaper one. We figured it would work just as good, and it was allowed in our budget.Then we went home and baked and decorated cupcakes! What fun! We also decided to have a bit of fun with the camera.

The batter:

They're done!
Now we get to decorate... We shoulda become professionals at this sort of thing!
Cause this is what they look like when we were through with them.
And then we had the party.

The guest of honour and her babe...

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

We had a blast! Thanks so much for everything, you crazy girl :).
Also, would you mind sending me some pics of the shower? Otherwise maybe I could pay you to get them developed? I'd love to scrapbook this, and I have some cupcake paper that is calling...:).