Our Mr Man is 5 months old. And is so so much happier. I am excited to report that he has really only cried when he needs something. I think I can count on my fingers the amount of time he's had an 'episode' in the last month. He is finally starting to nap more, he is an SOS napper...short, long, short. He is still a high maintenance baby, he still needs to be held more often than not, but at least he is not a sad baby like he was. I've been staying home more lately because he is difficult to take out and going out more in the evenings to run my errands. I enjoy this, though, because often Camia comes with me so I often still get some one-on-one time with her too, which I think she needs since as of late she's being making comments like 'how come you can't play with me?' or 'mom, can I just talk to you for a minute?' She's never begrudging to Caleb, she never gets angry. I have just been noticing lately that she is pulling back a bit. She'll start to ask a question, then stop and say 'nevermind'. I feel guilty because so much of my time is taken up by Caleb and it is easy to just tell her to go play or find a book to read - or worse yet, to turn on a show for her, something which I have been really trying not to do...which makes the comments about letting her help me so much more important. Tomorrow I have planned a playdate with her and her friends. I am taking her to the park for lunch, a walk and some play time. I am looking forward to it. Other than Bible Study, this is the first time I will be taking Caleb out in about 2 weeks - he hasn't even been going to church.
In an effort to get him to nap more, I cut caffeine from my diet since I am still (!!) nursing Caleb. I have noticed a big difference since I stopped having caffeine in that he now naps for 20 minutes an hour an a half after he gets up in the morning, then he's down usually around 11-11:30 for between 3 and 4 hours, then down again by 5ish for another 20 minute nap. And then he was going down between 7 and 8 for the night (still waking between every 1 and 3 hours for feeding or comfort)...until a few nights ago where he started being up until 11, thinking it was party time. After he would go down at 11, he's started doing 5 and 6 hours stretches again, which is lovely. Now we have to work on getting him to go down again at 7, to wake up between 6 and 7 the next morning.
In the last day or so he has found his thumb, and sometimes after putting him down he prefers to have his thumb over his soother, which is great since often he wakes in the night just wanting his soother. If we can get him on his thumb...he can fall asleep on his own without the insertion of the soother!
A few days ago I noticed him trying to get to a toy by scooting on his tummy a few millimeters. Last night I went to him and found him on all 4's. I wonder if he will be crawling before he learns to roll from his back to his tummy.
I am sure he will be getting teeth soon. Every once in a while I can see two white lines on his gums, but then they disappear. Everything goes in his mouth these days. If he has no toy to put in his mouth, he opts for his fingers. Sometimes I see him just chomping down on his fist.
We will be starting him on solids soon. He seems to be very interested in our food at mealtimes and watches intently as we take food from our plates to our mouths. I am intent on waiting until he is at least 6 months old, though, since I don't want to jeopardize his happiness.
No comments:
Post a Comment