Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Quilt Number 6

Today I finished quilt number 6. And the biggest one yet. A twin size for Camia's big girl bed.
I had motivation to get it done, actually 2 things that were lighting a fire beneath my bottom. Well, technically 3 things but one of the things, the desire to have it done before she graduated to her big girl bed kind of fizzled when she graduated and the quilt was still not done. Starting in May I decided that I was going to pick 1 project per month and focus on getting it done in the month. For the month of May I chose to finish a crochet blanket that I had started over a year ago. I had it knitted up, almost 1/2 way done and I was not happy with how it was turning out. So, I ripped it out and it sat there for a long time so I could procrastinate and look for a crochet pattern I liked, since I decided that I like to crochet much better than knit. I didn't quite get it done in May, so when I wasn't working on Camia's quilt, I was sitting on the couch and crocheting. I got that blanket done last week. Only 2 weeks behind schedule :).
Camia has been sleeping under a fleece blanket all winter and lately the temperatures have been warming up, making that poor girl melt while sleeping. So, I picked her quilt to be my June project. Thus the 2 fires lit under my butt. She needed something cooler to sleep under, and I had a goal to get it done before the end of June. And I'm 1 week ahead of schedule.
Since fabric can be quite pricey to buy, I decided that I was going to try find a sheet at Value Village and use that instead of spending $50 on fabric from the fabric store and then piecing it. I purchased a twin sheet for $5 and took it home. It was brand new, never been washed. I took out the side and end seams to make it bigger as it was JUST too small for my quilt. After the seam were out, I found it was still too small. By about 2 inches. So, I cut straight down the quilt, inserted a row of blocks left from the front and voila
The back is almost as cool as the front. And it cost me five bucks. I was inspired by blog land, I have seen this idea several times on the quilting blogs I follow, and they do it for fun, not to make the fabric fit. Next one the list: My July project. New pj's for Camia. (She is growing so so much, she is constantly going through a spurt, I think. On the charts her height is that of a 4.5 year old and her weight is that of a 2 year old. No sooner do I get her in the next size, her pants turn into cinched up flood pants...)

No comments: