Saturday, June 13, 2009

This That and A Visit To The Doctor

Thursday was not a fun day for Camia and I. Things were not going as smoothly as one would hope or would like.

It all started with Camia's routinely visit to the doctor on Tuesday afternoon for those shots we all should have had when we were that young. The visit went well. She surprised the doctor by sitting completely still on the weigh scale (I'm surprised she sat still for that long) and weighed in at a healthy 21 lbs. Her length was measured, and calculated to 70-something centimetres. The doctor was very happy with where she is at. He was super quick with all 4 shots, he was done withing 5 seconds, I am sure. Camia cried like there was no tomorrow, but I was not too concerned becuase she did this on her previous appointments too. She layed super still (which, again, is uncharacteristic of her). She was a happy babe before we left the doctors office.

Tuesday night I got asked as a last minute thing to help my mom at her work to go up somewhere inbetween Harrison and Aggasiz to hang hanging baskets and fix irrigation lines for a company that builds showhomes to sell property. Apparently they have these lots for sale that will have a magnificant view of the 'Mighty Fraser River'. This involved our day starting at 5 to get Ryan out the door so he could be at work by 6:15 in Cloverdale so I could be at work at 6:45 in Abbotsford. My mom and her boss insisted that I take my bambino with me, so she joined in on the fun at about 5:30 in the morning. After a day in the hot sun hoisting 14, 16, 18, and 24 inch baskets onto lamp posts using a crude man made pully system, and with a nice breeze to cool us off ( I didn't even feel hot as I burned my skin under the rays), we headed back to the greenhouse where my mom works and stripped Camia down to let her frolic in the puddles. After I watered everything in the greenhouse, I took the hose and hosed Camia down, to which she responded with her infectious giggle and big blue-eyed smile. Life was good. Thursday morning started out pleasant as well. Camia and I got some play time in, and things went rather smoothly. I enjoyed some cold water with my mother in law in the afternoon as well as some conversation, and as soon as she left is when the party began. Camia woke up just as she stepped out the door, and things went so progressively downhill that by the time Ryan got home at after 6, I think I may have been sobbing harder than my baby.

The previous entry is Thursday night. It got to a point where I panicked because after dinner I picked Camia up out of her highchair to bring her to the bath Ryan had prepared, and she would not bend her right leg. I tried to bend it for her but it would not bend. After not much trying, Ryan was bending her leg for her and I called Joy, my sister in law who has all the answers when I am in tears or need advice for feeding a sick babe. (psst!! She knows everything!!! Almost.) She convinced me that I did the right thing in getting Camia her shots and that she was choosing to not bend her leg because it hurt, not because she couldn't. By the end of our conversation I felt better. She also told me that with all of her girls, she would have rough days on day 2 and day 10 after the shots. I have passed day 2. Day 10 is 5 days away. Joy told me to come visit her on friday, an invitaion I readily accepted. She told me to be prepared for a rough night with Camia.

Friday dawned into yet another gorgeous day, and I realized that I had not gotten up once to tend to Camia. Thats not to say that she did not sleep through the night. She didn't. But when she was awake, she did not cry. She played in her bed. Ryan and I left her to play, shut the moniter off and went back to sleep. Camia slept until 10:00. Since I did not have a car that day, I packed Camia in her stroller and headed out to Joy's house.

It took me a grand total of approximately 30 minutes to walk, with stop times needed to decipher a trail map that Joy had drawn for me several months ago and to feed Camia cookies to keep her happy. After a good visit with Joy and her 2 girls and Lindas 2 kids, Joy drove me home, and life went on in the household of the Sikma's. Life, once again, is good. (and I still love my baby :D )

No comments: