Monday, June 10, 2013

Ontario

After much debate and lots of flipping to 'yes I'm going' to 'no, I'm not going', I bit the bullet and booked a ticket on the red eye flight to Ontario for my brother's wedding. I flew with my mom and we stayed the weekend with my Aunt visiting, visiting and more visiting. It was a whirlwind weekend, and I was exhausted when I got home. But I am glad it was busy because I went without my kiddos. It was hard to leave them both behind, especially when Camia was sobbing as I walked down the pathway thing onto the plane. Being busy meant I didn't really have time to think about how much I wished they were there with me. I missed them like crazy. I tried consoling myself with things like the plane rides would not have been fun. It was tight and hot, especially on the way home. When we arrived in Hamilton, the hot, wet air hit me like a load of bricks. It was muggy. It was hot. It was gross. The church was a million degrees. Caleb would not have been happy if he had come along. The humidity finally broke sometime Saturday night, and then it was beautiful.
 
The morning after arrival, we went to my hometown, Fergus, a place I hadn't seen in 20 years - almost exactly to the date. We visited my Aunt's cottage which sits on a lake. 
 


 
After the cottage, we drove past the school I once attended.
 
 
I used to go sledding down this hill - it is smaller than I remember.

 
We drove past the house my family used to live in. Seeing the house I suddenly remembered some things I had forgotten. Like when my grandparents came to visit they would park their camper in the driveway. I remember being excited to see them in their camper. I remember having coloured sprinkles on bread while they visited.

 
I remember falling off a bike along this side of the house and falling asleep where I fell. The street is a busy one, and I remember an ambulance coming to check on me and waking me up.
 
 
I remember one of my siblings falling off this retaining wall and breaking a bone. There also used to be a fence closing in the back yard.
 
I don't remember what the price of gas was back then, but I am pretty sure it wasn't $1.24 a litre!! Dad used to own this store. When he owned it, it was called Sunoco.
 
 
We also drove past the church my family used to attend.
 
 
We then drove through Fergus and I loved the heritage in that town. While driving around while we were there (and we did a ton of driving), I couldn't get over how beautiful everything was. There wasn't an unkept lawn anywhere, most of them had beautiful landscaping and the general area was so clean, so tidy. No trash on the roads or sidewalks. And all the houses were different from each other, they all had character. A good chunk of the houses were made of brick, and I found out later that this is largely due to the fact that brick is manufactured there. I love when there are no two houses the same. It gets rather boring when they are all the same colour and all the same shape. Things there were also quite spread out, something I am not used to since I live in an area where people live on top of each other and businesses build shops with hardly a walk way between the buildings.
 
 
Saturday we had the wedding. Here are some shots from that event.
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
Monday we had the whole day before our flight left so we spent it with my brother and his new wife - my sister in law. (feels good to say that! I finally have a sister in law on my side of the family!!) So we spent the day with them. We went to Niagara Falls and the Butterfly Conservatory.


 
 
 



 
 
 
 
We did a lot of driving and every day we went over the same bridge. I thought it was rather neat that the water went on and on.
 
 
On the way home, it was light when we left. So I took a picture or 2. It is so different out there than here. Here there are mountains and there it's all flat.
 

No comments: