Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Catching up

The last couple of weeks have been a complete blur. What? We had Christmas just this past weekend? It seems so long ago already. I have not been working since late November and have been trying to teach myself to be a stay-at-home mom. A mom who actually stays home. It's been lovely, but still so stinking busy! We had family photo's taken and Christmas cards went out on time this year! Here are a few (ok, a few more than a few...) of my favourite shots:
We also had a cookie-making afternoon where we made shortbread men and christmas trees.
It was so fun to do it with Camia, though her idea of decoratuing is slightly different than mine :)
I've spent the past 2.5 years waiting until Camia reached this age so we could do these sorts of things together. It's been so fun to watch her grow and develop and I am still amazed at how much she is still changing and developing, but more on that later. After we made cookies, we sat on the couch and ate them.
For something small, I put together a jar of hot chocolate, marshmallows and chocolate chips for a few close friends.
We had a little bit of a set back when Ryan slipped while driving a couple of weeks ago.
It caused some stress and anxiety, but we are thankful that the Lord spared any further damage, both physically and to the car. The car got fixed by Dr. Rod and is now travelling on the roads once again.

Aunt Juliet and Uncle Gerald graced us with their presence the weekend before Christmas and in honour of my sister's 19 birthday as well as Opa Selles' 75th birthday and my brother's being home from Edmonton and Ontario, we had a dinner at mom and dad's house.

After dinner we decided to go for a walk, and since mom recently stepped on a pair of scissors and was immobile, we put her in a wheel barrow and took her with us.
And, the week of Christmas, I kinda forgot it was Christmas and took on a bit more than I could handle. My dad works in a hospice, and they needed new curtains to go around a hospital bed. Dad asked me to get the job done, and, not really realizing how much work it would actually be, I said I would get it done before I came to see him on Friday for the family dinner. My house got turned upside down and sideways - literally - and I worked many hours trying to get the curtains done in time.
It involved late nights and stressful days since by Thursday Camia was fed up with me because I had been neglecting her all week. I was also at my wits end because I had no time to pay her any mind. Everything she did got under my skin and I was very irritated with everything. So, in order for me to get my job done, and Camia to have attention, she went to Grandma Sikma's house on Friday. The lesson I learned? Instead of saying sure, 4 days is no problem, I will say, sure, 2 or 3 WEEKS should do the trick. I really underestimated how much time it would really take.

On Tuesday of last week I went over to Joy's house for our second annual center piece making day and with all the sisters in law who live here as well as my mother in law, we made our Christmas pieces.
This also contributed to being stressed out as I should really have been at home trying to get the curtains done.

On the 24th, we headed over to my parents for our gift exchange and gourmet dinner.
I got the curtains almost finished, so I took them along with me to finish at mom and dad's at some point in the weekend since we were to spend Friday night there. Camia was our little Santa and had fun passing out the gifts to the appropriate people.
She also had a bit of fun opening some of her own little gifts. She plays with this little set so much!
I also made cookies from felt so she could play with them along with the set.
Another sewing project I was working last week to finish was the quilt and oven mitts and potholders that I was making for my mom. Thankful that Camia was otherwise occupied, I set to work and finished it and also finished Camia's cookies so I could give them to her on Friday.

On Saturday we went skating with the family, and Camia got to be on skates for the first time.
Though she did alright, she did get fed up with it pretty quickly. So, we improvised and pushed her around on the ice.

After skating, she talked for a bit on the phone while we undid our skates and got ready to leave
After skating we went home and rolled a couple dozen turkey croquettes and had a couple to snack on.
And I put the final touches on my curtains! It sure felt good to leave them behind when we went home on Sunday afternoon!
On Sunday we had the Sikma dinner, of which I have no photo's because I forgot my camera. Ryan had Monday and Tuesday off, so, other than grocery shopping, we stayed nicely at home and had a few quiet days to ourselves. Camia opened her gifts from us on Monday afternoon and has been playing with them non stop ever since.
It's been nice, because trying to keep her occupied before was like pulling teeth. Perhaps it's because it's all new, but the breathing room I've had has been grand.
I have time for things such as this, updating my blog, though I really should be catching up on my housework...But, that won't run away :) Camia and I surprised Ryan and for past Father's Day, Christmas and his birthday we got him an XBOX since his last one kinda got busted.
Over the past few years I have been saving and collecting artsy crafty things for when Camia got old enough to use them, and for the first time yesterday she sat down for almost an hour and worked with them, making her first craft. I've since scrap booked it, to preserve it forever, but here are some photo's to re-create and capture the moment :)
She concentrated on colour-grouping
coloured,
And was so proud of the finished product!
This morning Camia insisted on going through a tunnel, so I constructed something of sorts out of blankets. She was thrilled and for a few minutes we chased each other through the 'tunnel'.
I have more to write, specifically on Camia, but I will save that for a later post since I have already spent way too much time on this entry.

2 comments:

Carla said...

Wow! So many fun things going on! I don't even know which one to comment on ;)
Glad you enjoyed your Christmas with Camia! I bet she just had a blast.

Jennifer said...

Wow! Thanks for the catch up! I'm glad you got the curtains finished in time. I definitely know how that feels. Hopefully you have some time to relax now that the holidays are over. We will have to plan a sewing day soon - t'would be fun!